The first Basilica of the Tomb, dating back to the early centuries of the Christian era, is most likely to have been built on the remains of a more ancient pagan basilica.
The present-day building is mainly the result of work carried out in the XVIII th century (the new façade juts out further than the previous one) and between 1930 and 1940.
According to some, the origin of the name alla tomba or della tomba might come from the discovery nearby of the tomb of an illustrious Roman whose name was Quinto Tizio Sertoriano, whereas for others it comes from the Latin name for the raised area (ad tumulum) where the basilica stands.
The present bell tower of pure Venetian style is a work by the architect Gianbattista Scarpari.